Admissions for the Main School (Reception - Year 6)
Parents wishing to apply for a place in Reception (Foundation 2) through to Year 6 must apply through Leicester Education Authority, as all places are allocated by the Schools Admissions Team and not managed through Montrose School
Children must start full time education in September after their 4th Birthday and places are allocated subject to availability and as per Local Authority criteria detailed below:
- Pupils who are in the care of the Local Authority
- Pupils who are on the list of children subject to child protection plans and need to attend an alternative school to avoid the abuser
- Pupils who live in the priority area of the school
- Pupils who have siblings already attending the same school but not the nursery
- Pupils living in the area of a closed school whose parents name one of the linked schools to that area. If there are more of these preferences than places available, we will allocate them to the pupils who live closest in a straight line
- Pupils whose parents base their application on a religious conviction
- Children of parents/carers fleeing domestic violence (Subject to verification by a senior social worker or current Leicester City Council procedures for housing reallocation in cases of recognised domestic violence)
- Pupils who live nearest the School (measured in a straight line)
The School Admissions Team can be contacted in the following ways:
Phone: 0116 454 1009 (option 1)
Write: School Admissions Service, Customer Service Centre, York House, 91 Granby Street, Leicester LE1 6FB
At Montrose School we have 2 classes in each year group with 30 places per class. We have adopted Leicester City Council’s over-spill policy and subject to certain conditions, the number of pupils in a class can be a little higher.
Right of Appeal
Parents have a right of appeal and if you do not get a place at your chosen school, the appeals are dealt with by the Leicester City Council School Admissions Team. Montrose School is unable to support or decline an application once a decision has been made by the Local Authority.
Applying for a Place in the Nursery (3-4 year olds)
How to Apply
Parents may apply for a place in the Nursery via the school. You will need to complete an application form. The options for applying are listed below:
1) Download the application form:
You can complete the form as a Word document, save it and then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or complete the form by hand and return by post to: Montrose School, Wigston Lane, Aylestone, Leicester, LE2 8TN.
Alternatively, you can fax the form to (0116) 2839069.
2) Visit the school to pick up and complete the form in person.
Please note: We do not post out application forms due to postage costs.
When to Apply
You can apply at any time for a place for your child in Nursery. However, we ask that we receive all application forms by the end of the February in the year that your child is due to start, i.e. if your child is due to start in September 2017 then please complete and return the application form by the end of February 2017.
You can still complete and return an application form after the end of February in the year that your child is due to start, but they will not be considered in the first batch of acceptance letters and will be instead put on our waiting list.
Places for Nursery are given priority to children who:
- live within the school's priority area
- have siblings at the school
- have special social, learning or physical needs
Frequently asked questions for Nursery admissions
Q. How old does my child have to be to start in Nursery?
A. Your child will start in the September in which they are already 3 years old, and will be turning 4 years old in that academic year. Please see the table below to work out when your child would be due to start in Nursery.
|Born between these dates||Due to start F1|
|1st September 2013 - 31st August 2014||September 2017|
|1st September 2014 - 31st August 2015||September 2018|
|1st September 2015 - 31st August 2016||September 2019|
|1st September 2016 - 31st August 2017||September 2020|
Q. If my child gets accepted into Nursery will they automatically receive a place in the main school (Reception to Year 6)?
A. No. To be considered for a full-time place in the main school you will need to submit an on-line application through the Local Authority (LA). Information on how to apply will be sent to schools to distribute to parents in September prior to your child starting Full-time school. You must submit an on-line application with Leicester City Council, please see their website for more details on how to apply.
Transfer to Secondary School
In recent years pupils have transferred to the following schools:
Right of Appeal
Parents have a right of appeal and if you do not get a place at your chosen school the appeals are dealt with by the Council's Admissions Team.
Montrose School is unable to support or decline an application once a decision has been made by the Local Authority.